The report highlights how merchants have adapted to online marketing, which marketing channels they find effective, how much time and money they spend on social media, and how they plan on spending 2014 marketing budgets.
More than 13,000 merchants based in the U.S. participated in the survey, which shows that:
- 71% of merchants say email is their most effective marketing channel
- 67% have an annual marketing budget of less than $5,000
- 6% indicated that daily deals are an effective marketing tool
- 19% stated that social reviews are hurting their business
- 83% don’t know how to measure the effect of social media on their business
- 42% indicate that vendor trust is a large issue for online marketing
- 81% are interested in simple, non-expensive marketing tools
Although merchants recognize the value of mobile marketing and, in particular, the effectiveness of email marketing, the digital realm is far from being a frustration-free marketing zone.
“Local merchants are over-burdened with the latest online marketing tools, struggle to adapt to mobile and are contacted on average over 5 times per week by companies pitching online marketing or social media products and services,” DDM reports.
To learn more or to purchase the report, click here.